Thursday, February 26, 2009

OC Museum


OC Museum (near Fashion Islands Newport Beach)

I usually try to do arts & crafts with Maddie as much as I can. At her age, I think that’s the best thing to do. Get little messy, have fun and create something. To be honest, OC Museum is not one of my favorite museums. Their exhibitions are a bit too contemporary for my taste. However, they have a great family program called “Target Free Second Sundays.” The name tells it all. It’s free every second Sunday and they have variety of arts & crafts. What makes this one different from other arts & crafts? It has a theme every month.

When I went on 2/8, the theme was sculpture. They had 4 different kinds of crafts. Each table had different crafts going and there were plenty of volunteers to help the kids. They even had a paper bag for each kids to put their crafts in. I would say that is very thoughtful!

1. Valentine’s paper basket
2. Paper abstract sculpture
3. 3-D Paper sculpture
4. Paste string sculpture

There was also a dance performance/lecture by Backhausdance. The choreographer was explaining how she choreographs dance movements like an artist sculpturing a sculpture. It was a bit long for young children but very interesting and educational for older kids.

I really enjoyed the OC Museum event because all the activities and crafts were actually geared toward a theme. I’m really looking forward to their next event. I strongly recommend this event to everyone!

My Tips
- As usual, go there early.

- There are two locations right next to each other. They usually have something going on both locations so don’t miss any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment