Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Last Weekend

Places I went last weekend

OC Great Park – My whole family went to the “Shamrock & Skate” event. Well, if you didn’t go, then it is YOUR LOSS. They had so many fun activities. There was snow ball fights, snowman making, sledding, skating, hockey related events, and couple of crafts. For us, sledding was the highlight of the day. It was SUPER FUN. You basically sled on a piece of giant plastic saucer down a small snow slope. Maddie wanted to go on it forever. We got a lot of freebies (2 adult baseball caps, 1 kid’s baseball cap, Chick-fil-a chicken, Chick-fil-a free kids meal coupons, jamba juice smoothies, cookies, kettle corn, bagels, coffee, hot chocolate, coin chocolate, child safety ID, and some other stuff that I probably forgot) Whenever there’s an event at OC Great Park, I try not to miss it because the quality of the event is really good.

I took Maddie to see “Moon between two houses” puppet show at Irvine Barclay Theater. It is a puppet show about two very different neighbors who became friends after they shared their fear about the darkness.

Cons – even though we had good seats we felt like we were sitting in the back since the puppets were not big. It was difficult to see the delicate movements of the puppets. Another thing is that the puppeteers were from Mexico and their pronunciation was not very clear. I had a hard time understanding the details of the storyline. Honestly, I still don’t know the name of one of the two main characters. The same company, Marionetas de la Esquina will be doing the “Emilio and the Enchanted Cow” at OC Performing Arts Center.

Pros – if all my “cons” are from adults' point of view, all the “pros” are from my kiddie’s point of view. Maddie and another 2 year old boy LOVED the show. They were MESMERIZED the whole time (1 hour). I think there’s something about a live show/performance that interests kids. Another good thing was that after the show they asked the kids to come up and touch the puppets and ask any questions. All the kids flocked to the stage as soon as the puppeteer said “please ask us anything about the puppets.” As long as the tickets are not expensive I would recommend taking your young children to live performances. Just make sure that it's a kid friendly show. Irvine Barclay Theater has a few of these including a Sleeping Beauty Ballet for children. http://www.thebarclay.org/calendar.asp

Michael’s – I went to the Michael’s in District to see what their birthday party program is going to be. They were advertising that they will have a birthday party promotion. I confirmed the event with the actual store couple of nights before and went. However, when I got there I found out that the person who was supposed to do the event was laid off and nobody knew what will happen to the whole program. I was disappointed. Anyways, according to Michael’s website, they will be hosting some family events and crafts. These are included in my event calendar. However, CALL your store before you go and confirm……. http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=kids_events

No comments:

Post a Comment